Thank you to everyone who made last weekend’s Oktoberfest a smashing success! We are so immensely grateful to be a part of such a vibrant and welcoming community. Plus, you all really know how to celebrate! You’ll see some of our favorite images below but check out our Facebook page for even more! We’re keeping the party going with our Festbier, Rauchinator Smoked Doppelbock, and Perry’s Revelation Weizenbock still on tap and in cans, and Hungry Are The Damned Imperial Milk Stout still on tap. Plus, we have loads going on in the taproom this month; read on to learn what’s coming!
Beer Updates for October
Stay tuned to the beer page for all the updates, but here are some of the highlights.
- Festbier Golden Lagerbier: Lager brewers nationwide are on a shared quest to make Festbier more available in the US. This is not the darker amber “Märzen-style” but the golden elixir they drink in Munich during Oktoberfest. Our favorite Durham maltster at Epiphany Craft Malt got his start in the industry working at Brauerei Ayinger and used his connections and good looks to seal a deal with a family farm in Germany who only supplies a couple well known Bavarian breweries with their Ursprung Festmalt. This beer showcases this special malt with a small addition of Munich and Vienna malts for color and desirable autumn-evoking aromas. Fermented cold and slow and lagered in horizontal tanks for 8 weeks. Prost! 5.9% ABV
- Rauchinator Smoked Doppelbock: Bavarian-style Doppelbock brewed with a hefty portion of darker kilned Munich malt and Pilsner malt which was smoked over Beechwood. This deep amber lager has been single decoction mashed and aged 8+ weeks in horizontal tanks. 7.5% ABV
- Perry’s Revelation Weizenbock: Even more Weizen than Perry’s Epiphany. This is a higher gravity version of a Hefeweizen with higher portions of wheat. In addition to locally grown red wheat from Perry Family Farm in Rolesville, we included British Maris Otter and Belgian Special B malts for a copper colored Hefe with notes of caramel and dark fruit. We still keep the beer subtle with high drinkability. An autumnal delight. 7.8% ABV
- Hungry Are The Damned Imperial Milk Stout: Spooky season is upon us, so we pulled something from our little Treehouse of Horror for you to rot your teeth on. This monstrosity of a beer is brewed with freshly toasted coconut and Oreos. We filled our lauter tun to the brim with rich dark malts, pulled the thick wort and concentrated it with a several hour boil. After a long 20 day ferment, we spent two days toasting over 45lbs of coconut or 12lbs per barrel for our humble sized batch. That was combined into the tank with a bunch of crushed up oreos and conditioned until it tasted just right. May this beer take you to a world of infinite ravenous delights, tantalize your senses, and challenge your intellectual limitations. 12.7% ABV
The taproom is buzzing with events all month long! Read on for the highlights.
- Halloween Brew Bashes: Our adults-only Halloween Brew Bash is scheduled for 10/20 7-11 PM and our family-friendly Beastly Brew Bash will be 10/22 from 1-5 PM complete with a professional photographer, face painting and magic! Mark your calendars for both events now and we’ll release details as the event gets closer.
- Hammered Trivia – Mondays 7-9 PM: With this experienced crew, it didn’t take long to establish a Monday night trivia crew in the taproom. Don’t worry, there’s still plenty of room for you to join!
- Friday Night Market: Our ever-popular Friday Night Market, hosted by The Family Bees-Ness LLC, returns this Friday, October 6th! Check out the event on Facebook for a full list of vendor.
- Yoga: Unita Yoga returns to the taproom for a Saturday morning yoga class 10/28 at 10:30. We’ll provide a light lunch after class (included in ticket price) so you can stay and enjoy a refreshing cold beverage from the menu! Tickets are $15. Register by 10/27 via Eventbrite or Venmo @unitayoga with “BBB 10/28” as the note.
- We’ve Got Your Weeknights Covered: Spend your Tuesday nights playing Music Bingo, enjoy Run Club and Wine Flight Wednesdays, and live music every Thursday night (and a few other nights too)!
Live Music Lineup for October:
- 10/5: Pat Tyler
- 10/8: Jazz Sunday with Michael Jones Duo
- 10/12: One Block Over
- 10/19: “A Little Hustle” Hip Hop Night
- 10/26: JT Parrothead
- 11/2: Gracie Lucia Lee
As the month goes on, we will continue to update our beer list and taproom events. It’s always best to refer to the beer page and events calendar for the most up to date information and don’t hesitate to DM us @blackbirdbeernc with any questions. We thank you all for being a part of our community; we’ll see you in the taproom!